Sunday, June 05, 2005

Two Days to Go!

In lieu of repeating everything about settling into Houston/the Delta/Training/Teaching in a zillion emails, I figured I would put it here so that people can keep track of me when/if they have the time and desire. (My prediction is that my Grandmas will be my most avid readers). For anyone out of the loop, I just graduated from college (exactly one week ago today!) and I am moving to somewhere in the Mississippi Delta for the next two years to teach elementary school for Teach for America. Not sure exactly where or what grade, yet. I'll find that out sometime in late June part way through my training in Houston, for which I'm leaving on Monday.

My Dad reminded me this morning that if I don't like Mississippi or teaching, I can quit. Even with all of the pressure from Teach for America to stick with it and to succeed, it's just a job. I know he's not happy I'm doing TFA, so it makes sense that he wouldn't mind if I quit after a semester or a year. I don't want to think about escape options now though, before I even begin. It goes against the whole point of the program. Also, it's only two years. A long time, but not an interminable amount of time by any means (especially in retrospect -- two years ago was when I left for Paris -- so recent!). Still though, I guess it's good to remember. Especially considering the stress that I feel just preparing to leave!

Yesterday, I bought a car with A/C (my main requirement). I don't actually "get" the car until Monday, though, after I transfer over the insurance and register it and everything. That means in one day (Monday), I have to insure, register, procure, re-tire, inspect, and load my car. I'm really worried about fitting stuff. Lin wasn't able to get a car because he can't insure it with Geico in Massachusetts, so he and his stuff are coming with me, too. I think that means the microwave and the TV were pipe dreams. Anything that doesn't fit will need to be shipped. We're moving to a new city and the only furniture we have is a beanbag chair and an inflatable bed (both Lin's).

So much to do, so little time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home