Monday, December 05, 2005

Kool-Aid Pickles, a Kwanakah Treat


A Delta delicacy -- the Kool-Aid Pickle! My little girl J-- gave me two of them this morning. Having been raised with at least one foodie parent, I am pretty good about trying food with an open mind. And I've had Kool-Aid Pickle before, at a "Welcome to TFA in the Delta" meeting. It's a strange combination -- "Jamaica" Kool-Aid (red and fruity) and dill pickles. So this morning I ate one and told J-- I'd eat the other one at lunch. (Really I waited to eat it until after I took the picture.)

It's a sweet-and-sour combination. To make a Kool-Aid pickle, dump out half of the brine in the pickle jar and refill it with your favorite flavor of Kool-Aid (preferably Jamaica, because it makes them nice and red.) Wait a few days. Enjoy. I did.

***

We were talking about seasons. I asked, "What holidays are in winter?" They easily listed Christmas and (with some prompting) Hanukah. "Super!" I said, writing them in a bubble connected to Winter. "Let's add to our list. I can think of another one that comes at around the same time. It's a celebration of African-American family, community, and culture. It starts with /k/." There were no guesses except a tentative "Christmas?" I tried again. "It starts with /kw/." I watched wheels turn. Two hands shot in the air, and before I could call on either one, J-- yelled out, "KWANAKAH!" at the same time as M-- shouted, "KWISTMAS!" The other students quickly got in on the action. "It's Kwanakah." D-- said firmly, as though she had celebrated it her whole life. "KWANAKAH! Yeah, Kwanakah!" shouted the class, looking at my marker hand expectantly.

But I was laughing too hard to write anything.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like you are having more fun.

12:23 AM, December 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Now I'm hungry - I want a Kool Aid pickle!

10:52 AM, December 06, 2005  
Blogger Absolutely Small said...

That's hysterical.
And thank you for explaining the kool-aid pickle thing- I've been wondering. (Now if only I could swrew up to courage to eat one!)

7:03 PM, April 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to sound so stupid, but do you make the Kool-Aid as usual and then pour it in the pickle jar?

5:49 PM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've tryed 2 packs cherry kool-aid and 1 pound sugar, in fridge 2 weeks now & all I have is green dill pickles with light red tint mostly on the bumps. All the pictures show them whole (not cut in half) and that's what I want to do. Does anyone know the mystery? Really want to do this for my duaghters volleyball team (I run their snack bar).

8:49 PM, June 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do any of you live right there in Miss. Are the pictures in N.Y>Times just fake. They show the whole green pickle turned bright red. Soaking them in the kool-aide doesn't work. Could you ask those that make them how to do it? And post the answer. Or email at happyharold4@yahoo.com

8:58 PM, June 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have made 3 batches of the
Kool Aid Pickles.

I did not drain the pickle brine.
I put 2 packages (strawberry) of Kool Aid and 2 cups of sugar in the jar. I let them soak for 3 weeks. The pickles DID turn red. I did cut mine in half. I have not made it with whole pickles I now have 2 more jars in the refigerator (curing). I made one again with strawberry flavor and one with grape flavor. The grape flavored pickles turned black....so that would be a good color at Halloween time. I wanted to make the pickles red and blue for July 4th....so I suppose I will just make a clear Kool Aid flavor and color them blue with food coloring. I have still not quite come up with the sweet sour taste in the pickles that I am seaching for. When I was a kid in east Texas in the 1970's the local store sold half a lemon with a peppermint stick stuck in the middle of the lemon and that was a great sweet/sour taste. That is what I am searching for in these pickels.

12:51 PM, June 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jessica- This sounds like a creative project, but if you feed Kool-Aid to your class you can expect to see disruptive behaviors and attention problems in some of the children. If you want documentation of the link between synthetic dyes and behavior/learning problems, see www.ADDdiet.com and click on Research.

12:04 PM, August 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most important thing to remember is to let them age slowly in the fridge for at least 2 weeks to get the best combination. We tried some from http://myaspickles.com and they had the perfect sweet/sour taste I was looking for.

11:55 AM, July 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home