Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Delta Dental

We were making patterns today in math, with fruit loops. I gave explicit instructions not to eat the fruit loops. When we finished making patterns, I checked mouths for fruit-loop colored teeth so that I could let non-tainted teeth have some as a reward.

I was horrified.

Many of my students have completely rotten teeth. Caved in, cracked, brown. Or, on the flip side, coated in silver -- not fillings, silver back teeth. At seven.

There is a push, it seems, at the federal level, to provide health insurance for un-insured children. Does that include dental coverage? Because they don't have it now. I was shocked by the state of my kids' teeth today. I've never seen teeth that bad -- I'm surprised kids have teeth by the time they are 15, with mouths like that. Or that they can concentrate in school. It must be very painful. Two of them have broken their front teeth already this year (not in class, thank goodness.)

It turns out that "Give Kids A Smile Day" is a week from Friday, on February 2. I am, of course, too late to sign my class up to get free toothbrushes and toothpaste. Who knows if they would use them, anyhow?

Add it to the list of things to fix in the Delta.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica:

If you can send me a school address with some directions, I'll see what I can do about getting you some free toothbrushes from Delta Dental.

Reach me at jalbum@delta.org. No promises, but I am optimistic we might work something out. Our Web Master found your blog by looking for dental issues and matters.

- Jeff (Director, Public Affairs, Delta Dental Insurance Company

5:47 PM, May 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home