Friday, July 29, 2005

Mysteries of the Day

Mystery #1:
Why does everyone in Mississippi think I'm fourteen?
Last week, when I went with my roommates to sign up for utilities, the woman asked if I was 18. Later in the week, when I went to get my library card, the librarian asked if I was 18. That same day, when I went to get an iced coffee at the only coffee shop/gift store in Clarksdale, the woman suggested milk as an alternative (who does that?) and then asked how old I was. I had to show her my license to get her to believe that I was 22. She guessed 14. Then, one of the assistant teachers at my elementary school, who was talking to the secretary in the office, thought I was another teacher's daughter. I've seen the daughter -- she is definitely under 16. I know I look young, but 14? Really?

Mystery #2:
Why do people keep flashing their lights at me?
My brights aren't on by mistake. There are no cops on the side of the road ahead. There is not smoke pouring from my engine, my car is are not on fire, and I am not dragging the hose from the gas station. My car is not strange, and it's not how I look (they are too far away to worry that I'm a 14 year old driving a car). It seems to defy most normal explanations, and there is no pattern. One day, no one flashes their lights. The next day, everyone going the other direction is flashing. And it's not just me -- this has happened to most people in my corps. I have two hypotheses: they're being friendly; or, there is a cop car ahead, but driving in the same direction as me, not parked or in hiding.

Mystery #3:
Why does my phone only work sometimes?
This is not actually a mystery. Cingular gets the best service of the nationwide cell phone providers, but it leeches off Unicell's towers, so about 50% of the time I get a "welcome to Unicell" message before I am cut off and I just have to try again. It's frustrating, but at least I have cell phone service.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

#1 - Yes
#2 - Their lights don't work??
#3 - It's you, not your phone.

If there's anything else I can help you with, just ask.

Hope all is well JB.

11:54 PM, July 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home