Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Happy Independence Day!

Independence Day (commonly referred to as "the Fourth of July") is one of my favorite holidays. I like it because it gives me a chance to celebrate the ideals upon which our great nation was founded without having to support the things that our great nation is currently doing. Honestly, I am proud to be an American. I think that Americans don't always remember how lucky most of us are to have been born here, in a country founded upon the ideals of liberty and justice for all.

To celebrate the holiday, I went to see the fireworks with some Delta friends. We went as a big group but the cars got separated, so I watched them with A- (Marks, high school) and T- (Greenville, 1st grade). They were great! We never found the park we were supposed to be in, but we found another one where a diverse sampling of Houstonites had parked, and we had a great view.

*****

Ever since we got our placements, people have been abuzz, trying to orient themselves not in the whole group, as before, but in their placement areas. Most people are congregated in the Helena, Arkansas area (the farthest north is Hughes, AR, and there are also people in Lee County and Marvell, AR) at the north of the Delta, or in Greenville, Leland, or Indianola, MS, in the middle of the Delta. I'm about half way in between, an hour from either bigger group. Although I'm the only one in my town, there is a good-sized group in Marks (40 min away, or 20 if I live in Clarksdale) and there are, of course, my 3 compatriots in Shelby (6 miles away).

Evidently Delta people are starting to couple up. It has taken us longer than the other regions, since we didn't have an orientation where we met each other. There are two pre-existing (from before TFA) couples in the group but at least one new couple is forming, reports my spy in one of the cars that we were separated from for the fireworks. There was some hand-holding going on. So cute!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home