Monday, October 23, 2006

Parent Conference Day

We didn't have school today because it was "Parent Conference Day." In the elementary school I attended, this meant that parents signed up for conferences and the teacher met with every parent. Or at least, that's what I think happened. In the elementary school where I work, it does not work that way. Even remotely.

I sent a letter home last week: SIGN UP FOR A CONFERENCE TIME! BRING YOUR CHILD! I told them we would talk about their child's progress, behavior, grades, and I would GIVE THEM things to do with their child at home. It is 5:30. There is an hour and a half left before this day is over, and I have seen 2 students with their families. Out of 16. That's 1/8. Or, 12.5%. No good!

Last year, parents had to come to "Parent Conference Day" to pick up their child's report card. This year, report cards were mailed home. So there was no need, in the parents' eyes, to show up. In my class, everyone was passing everything. So there was not even a need to come harangue me about the grades. Last year, for the record, I had about a 50% turnout rate, which was pretty good. This year, it is absolutely dismal.

The only way I can rationalize it in my head is that my parent contact in general has been much better this year, so parents know their child's strengths and weaknesses, grades and behavior already. Three I can forgive: they have little babies (under 2 months old) at home. One other contacted me to schedule a makeup for Friday because she's working today. So four are excused, 2 were present, and that still leaves 10 unaccounted for. 62.5% unaccounted for. Three of those parents I've never been able to meet or get on the phone.

Overall, 29 parent showed up in the school (I know this from the sign-in log.) That is about a 10% average turnout, so I guess my class is on par. What is up with these parents? There must be a better way to get them motivated and involved.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes parents don't show up because they can't get a schedule that works for them. Your school should look into PTC Wizard.

True to it's name (Parent Teacher Conference Wizard) the system allows parents to schedule their own appointments online and make a schedule that works for them.

1:51 PM, November 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home