Friday, February 16, 2007

Skin Color

I've been trying to explain the terms "African-American" and "Black" in the context of our unit on Black Musicians, Writers, and Artists for Black History Month. We've talked about our unique differences and referenced grandma's grandma and so on. Every time I mention "black," D- raises his hand and tells me that he is brown. In January, we made a bulletin board for Martin Luther King's Birthday where each student picked the color construction paper that he/she thought best represented his/her skin color and cut out a hand for the border. We had red, pink, yellow, orange, white, light brown, dark brown, and black hands.

Anyhow, here is a very interesting video, written and directed by a 16-year old girl. My friend T- sent it to me. It talks about the perceptions African-American girls have about themselves, including their skin color. It is well-worth watching, and it's only about 7 minutes long. Watch it here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would have been interesting to see her asking some white children the same questions in the experiment...

12:29 PM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger Jessica said...

Maybe you can try that? I'm going to guess that they would have gone for the white baby doll also. It someone sends me identical black and white baby dolls, I'll try it on my kids, though, and two of them are not black.

8:05 PM, February 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home