Friday, June 10, 2005

Texas!

We made it safely to the Houston area at about 8 pm tonight. Woo hoo! Some flash observations about Texas/travelling:

1. Everything IS bigger in Texas, at least from a road standpoint. Bigger cars, 8 lane highways, taller bridges.
2. Truckers look at everyone who passes them. Regular drivers don't. Sitting in the passenger seat, I looked at everyone we passed and made eye contact with every trucker except for two. The whole way.
3. The Texas star, painted red, in a circle, looks vaguely communist. Lin noticed this. Also, the star is EVERYWHERE.

My mother's coworker Kay and her family are putting us up. They have been extremely nice. The greeted us, gave us food and free reign, and let me play with their kids (I love kids!). They've never met us before. If these are typical Texans, then I love Texans. A sign on the way said "Drive Friendly -- the Texas Way" and Lin and I laughed, thinking of a very unfriendly Texan who is currently running the country. Hopefully the rest of the people we meet while we are here are like Kay and Steve.

Tomorrow morning we are waking up really early to go into the city for standardized testing. Lin is taking a math test which looks like it's going to be really hard. I'm taking the Praxis I, which looks like it's going to be really easy. Lin is studying right now. Lin has been having just as rough a time of it as me, if not worse. He got whiplash in the crash, and since he was driving he had to see the whole thing. Then, on our rest day, he ran around with Aunt Merry and bought a car while I took a nap. And now he has to take a really difficult test... He's been holding up really well. If you know Lin, you should give him some kudos.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, stop bragging about me.

2:38 AM, June 12, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jessica

best teacher ever?

love,

will

p.s. "maid"

12:51 AM, June 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home