Thursday, September 29, 2005

Bad Day/Deltaisms

I was right in my prediction that today would not go well. At least tomorrow will be better (it couldn't get much worse than today.) Some of the bad things that happened:
1. R-- called R-- a "b*tch" (both R--'s are male and supposedly best friends).
2. K-- threw scissors across the room.
3. T-- chopped off a triangle of J--'s hair, which I didn't notice until after T-- left (he's a walker, so he leaves first) and when I asked why he hadn't told me, J-- said, "I tried to but you told me to sit down."
4. I went too fast with subtraction and my kids who were so confident about it on Tuesday now think they just can't do it.
5. I was evaluated and told me lesson would work better in small groups, which are still not happening yet.

I have picked up some new Southernisms, though:
Put it up = Put it away
Done told = Told

Also, the lack of pleasantries such as "please" and "thank you" appalls me, and I don't know if it's a how-you-were-raised thing or just a different culture down here. Conversations (heard and had) with children:

Teacher: "Put that up right quick."
Student: "I was fittin' a put it up!"
Teacher: "I done told you to do it it was five minutes."

Student: "I can use it."
Me: "Sit down, raise your hand, and use a polite question."
Student: "May I can use it?"
Me:
Student: "May-I-use-it-please?"
Me: "Yes."

Student: "Gimme candy."
Me: "Excuse me?"
Student: "Gimme candy."
Me: "No. First of all, I give people who are behaving candy, not people who ask for it. Second, you didn't even ask politely."
Student: "May I can have candy?"
Me: "No."

Me: "Your line is so nice and quiet!"
Other teacher: "Okay."

Me: "Ms. P--, I like your shirt."
Ms. P--: "Okay."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home