Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Up, up, and away

Up: I had a good day with the kids. They remembered ABC order. They put numbers in number order. Over 75% did their addition homework, and it was even correct. They hugged me in the hall. I've found what makes R-- happy: hugs, sitting next to me, etc. D-- finally ate lunch (she's the little girl I got Thursday). We choral read "Ants" in the reader and they all read along with some ease. They love clapping for quiet. Groups are working out okay and team points bring in group accountability.

Up: The principal observed me during Reading and he liked what he saw. In our post-observation conference, he told me that my management was good, my lessons were appropriate and integrated, my kids were learning, my style was unconventional (really? that's probably because I have no training), my kids were the most difficult class, and he thought I was doing a good job. He said if I keep up this level of improvement, he will be sending people in to observe ME. Like whoa.

Away: My roommates are doing better, too. P-- has been getting intensive support from a TFA veteran and is doing better. A-- feels like she's getting the hang of it, even in a ridiculously chauvenistic school, even though she has the worst breakdown of kids (all SpEd in one class, for example), even with few books. And M-- was named Teacher of the Month and his students learned to multiply big numbers in two class periods.

A view of my classroomfrom the end of the first week of school (new pictures as soon as the configuration/transfiguartion is complete into groups with a Reading Rocketship):





1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome -- all your hard work is paying off!

10:23 PM, September 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home