Monday, September 19, 2005

Writing Happiness


This is by one of my repeating students who is often lost in space. His other writing has been garbled strings of letters. On Friday, I sat down with him and we wrote this together. By together I mean that I asked what he wanted to say and he told me and then we sounded out the words one at a time and then he picked and wrote the letters and told me what word was going to come next. I was a prompter. I love this. I found it again today in my pile of grading and I almost started to cry it made me so happy. For the uninitiated into first-grade writing it says, "--- is my friend. (He) play(s) with me."


Students who finished their journal writing early were allowed to write down what classroom job they wanted for this week and why they would be good at it. J-- wrote: "I('d) like to be the Marble Manager. (I would be good at it because) I am good."


I was handed this letter by one of my sweetest little boys this morning. He clearly had some help writing it and he had sealed it into an envelope with glue so it got a little ripped when I took it out. But how cute is it?


This is from my newest little darling. She told me, "This is you and your husband." Oh. My husband? I guess anyone older than 10 is a grownup to a six year old.

I just adore these children and I want to give them as much knowledge and as much love as possible. They just bloom with praise and attention. J--, who was a problem at the beginning, has settled down and begun to work hard. It makes me so happy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

Work hard, get smart! Ooo ooo!

10:22 PM, September 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home