Sunday, December 11, 2005

Catch a Shark

On Friday, we had our spelling test. It was testing words with the /ch/ sound, which was our phonics skill this week. The first word was catch. I got: catch, cash, cath, cacotch, caj, cich, and chach. This tells me that most of my class has beginning and middle sounds down, and that they really need to work on those ending sounds. Eight students spelled all ten words correctly (catch, match, chip, inch, itch, chin, shop, wish, many, how), and four of those spelled all three of our bonus words correctly (sight words that we studied this week but were not on the spelling list) (fly, live, around.)

Those four were my "Superstar Speller" club, and they got to sit next to me at lunch. We told first-grade jokes.
My jokes: What does the clam do on its birthday? Shellebrates! Knock, knock. (Who's there?) Boo. (Boo who?) Don't cry, it's okay!
Their jokes: What did the shark say when it ate the fish? Yum, yum! What lives in the ocean and is really scary? A shark with bloody teeth! What did R-- have for lunch? A butterfly sandwich! What did A-- say to R--? Oh, you so handsome! (Met with a loud "Nuh-uh! She his cousin!") What does C-- do after school? Plays X-Box with a shark!

I don't get them, either. But now I know that sharks are really cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home