Monday, September 04, 2006

Missing the Kids

I taught for 1.5 days last week, and I feel really guilty about it. Nobody else at my school seems to think I should feel guilty about it, but I do. I had the flu. Sunday and Monday I huddled miserably in my bed. Monday afternoon, I called my friend Lin and he took me to the hospital where we waited for 5 hours before I got into an exam room and another hour before the doctor came by and gave me an IV of fluid and a prescription for TamiFlu. Tuesday I did a little planning and slept and slept and slept. Wednesday I went into school, but didn't really feel well, so I left at lunchtime. Thursday I had a follow-up appointment with the doctor at 9:30 in the morning, so I called my principal and took a half day. After all, even if the doctor is running a little late, 1. how late can you get by 9:30? and 2. that gave me 2 hours to get checked out and get to school (a 20-min drive.)

I arrived at 9:20 and filled out my paperwork, and then I joined the crowd in the waiting room. And I waited. And waited. And waited. At 11:00, a full hour and a half after my SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT, the waiting room was down to 3 patients and 2 drug saleswomen. Then, they called in the drug saleswomen. That was the last straw. I was very upset. I went to the window and inquired about my appointment. She told me I was next and that she just had to find my chart, which she must have set down somewhere... just hold on a couple more minutes... I sat down and fumed internally for another 5 minutes until she called me into an exam room. Then I waited another 25 minutes for the doctor to come in. In my head, I watched my students walk down the hallway to lunch, eat their lunches, pack up their trays, leave the lunchroom, and head towards recess. While I sat waiting for a stupid follow-up appointment I didn't need for a virus which can't be cured by medicine anyhow.

The doctor came in and did a cursory heart-and-lung listen and told me that he would write me a note to take the rest of the week off. I told him thank you very much, please write me a note to go back tomorrow. As soon as I had my note, I headed to school, but it was almost 1:00 by the time I got there. Reading and writing were over, math was over, and all that remained was science and art/music/phys-ed (which I ignore for the most part anyhow.) I figured it wasn't worth my staying to teach science and dismiss the kids, so I picked up my paycheck and went home. I taught on Friday and only had to take one little head-down break while the students took a quiz (I had my assistant proctor it.)

And now we've had three days off! So, after my very short week last week and my very nice restful weekend at the Gulf coast with some TFA friends, I'm raring to go to school.

Bring on the learning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home