Monday, January 30, 2006

Track

It was a good day. We filled up our marble jar, for the second time this year. I heard excited whispers about a popcorn party -- score, how easy would that be? -- and it was actually quiet during morning reading time today. My program directors stopped by to drop off orange juice and donuts as a prize for winning the observation challenge (way back before Christmas) and I had a nice chat with the kindergarten teacher that I just reclaimed the early-morning reading program from (I did it for two months, she did it for two months, now I have it for February again.)

My classroom is falling into order. It was a little rough right after break and it was mostly my fault. I didn't spend enough time adequately preparing for reintegration into school life, there was the whole moving issue, and I went away to a conference for two days and was sick (albeit present at school for all but one day) for a week. We're back on track now, and I'm hoping it will be smoother sailing into the end of the year. My kids are not where I want them to be, but if classroom management stays under control, I should have time to fix that.

I'm already exhausted for the week, though. I didn't get much done early in the weekend and so Sunday afternoon and evening were full of scramblings and I was up late. Tonight I have tracking forms, back-writing of completed interventions, test grading, and marking 108 magnetic marbles with little x's to look forward to.

On the flip side, I also have a cup of steaming vanilla tea in my hand, eggplant parmesan in the oven (thanks to my roommate), a warm bed for sometime later tonight, and tomorrow's payday (although most of that will go to moving expenses.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why do you have to mark the marbles with X's?

2:11 PM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger Jessica said...

I want to give them an idea of polarity. The marbles definetely have a North and South Pole, but since they are round it would be really hard for my students to understand that the poles were across from each other. I marked all of one side with X's and all of the other sides with O's. That way, they can see that X's only stick to O's, that O and O or X and X repel each other, and that the magnets only catch on to each other at one of those points.

10:37 PM, January 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home