Wednesday, January 11, 2006

White as a Napkin

Today I was on breakfast duty. A little boy got my attention and pointed at another boy. “Mi’ Hay’,” he told me, “He called you white!"

“I am white,” I said. I showed him my hand. I put it next to his hand. “Yup,” I said, “I’m pretty white.” Then I walked away.

The next time I circulated by that table, the same little boy got my attention, pointing at the other boy again. “He said you as white as a napkin!”

I picked up a napkin and held it next to my hand. “I’m white,” I said, “But I don’t think I’m quite as white as this napkin.” I chuckled to myself and walked away again. Should I worry? Is “white” an insult? I am white, and I sort of think it’s better that they recognize that – that I am a white person, but one who cares about them.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

as long as you're not white as a sheep . . . Stay healthy!

7:57 AM, January 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home