Thursday, September 07, 2006

Lost

I lost a child today. We were doing map skills, it was the afternoon, and we had gone outside to mark the place on our maps. I led the line back in so that nobody would be in the classroom without me, and forgot to watch the end of the line. I mean, I watched it, and nobody was fighting or talking., but I didn't count. We had all been in line, after all, and my class is very well-behaved.

So we returned to our seats, put away our maps, and came to the carpet with our partners. "Everyone raise hands with your partner," I said, to make sure they were sitting with their partners. T-- didn't raise her hand. "Where is D--?" I asked.

"He stayed outside," they told me, innocently. "He decided not to come in."

"He WHAT?!?" I gasped. "Sit perfectly still," I ordered, steam-rolling out of the classroom. So much for not leaving kids unattended. I rushed down the hall to see D--'s head peeking over the window of the door.

According to him, he got "locked out." Since I didn't really know what happened, I let it slide. I figured not being able to get back in when he wanted to was enough of a scare. Besides, what would I tell his parents? Your child is in trouble because I didn't check to make sure he was with the class and didn't notice for a full 3 minutes?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so you have to count every time? How about making them come in with their partners - 2 by 2, so you would only have to count half as many and could see if someone was missing more easily

7:51 AM, September 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An idea that we used at day camp at the Sciencenter is to give each kid a number on the first day and have them count-off. You know who's absent, so you know what numbers are the only ones that should be missing.

11:25 PM, September 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home