Sunday, December 10, 2006

No Movies for You

It's take-a-trip-with-the-teacher Day. So I called the movie theater so that I would know which movie we were going to, in case parents asked.

The movie theater has gone out of business. Sh*t.

There is a movie theater in Clarksdale, where I live, but it doesn't show movies in the afternoon, and, from what I've heard, it's not a safe place to go anyhow. Besides, it only has 2 screens and it doesn't waste them on kid movies. The next closest movie theaters are over an hour and half drive away. One in Oxford, MS, where Ole Miss is, and one in Greenville, MS, the biggest city in the Delta and the 6th biggest city in MS (at about 40,000 people).

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Bowling, perhaps? Evidently there is a bowling alley in Clarksdale, and I know there is one in Cleveland, but I don't know if they are open on Sundays. The other option, I guess, which is the current forerunner because I know it is an option, is to take the kids to get ice cream and then just go to the library in Clarksdale. But it really seems kind of lame compared to going to the movies.

Last time we went to the movies, someone asked if my kids had ever been to the movies before. I think about half, if not more (you can't really trust what first graders say) have never been. Now that there is no movie theater for them to go to within an hour's drive, I expect that number to plummet. I feel like it is a slap in the face to the people who thought the Delta was improving, even a little bit, to lose the only movie theater in the area. Cleveland is supposed to be a city that is maintaining, if not growing, because of the college. But I guess that is not the case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home