Sunday, June 19, 2005

Tomorrow's the Day

Tomorrow morning, at 6 am Eastern Time, 7 am Central Time, I become a fourth grade summer school teacher. I've gotten everything done I need to have done for tomorrow, so now that I have mastered the teaching equivalent of the doggy-paddle-in-the-air, it's time to jump into the deep end of the pool. There are some lifeguards, but they have been instructed that we're good kickers and we'll thrash up to the surface somehow even if it looks like we're drowning initially. In spite of what you might infer from this lovely analogy, I am in good spirits, I'm excited to begin teaching, and I'm not nervous yet. I think I'm too tired to be nervous.

I had a lovely weekend, in which I got much more sleep than I have been getting and not nearly as much as I would have liked. Friday night I went to see "Batman Begins" with my friends Jaime and Elizabeth. We identified several TFA messages while watching the movie (can't remember which ones they were, but definetely the not giving up messages.) I feel like there were some that really stood out to me and I wish I could remember the exact moments. Saturday I went to Target and Quizno's with Elizabeth and Tina, then I had my final diagnostic, which was harder than I expected. (But passing is 135/200, which I think I pulled.) Saturday evening I went to an outdoor symphony with two of the Delta corps members who made up the chants that first day. It was a wonderful evening. We arrived at the park as the sun was setting. Jason had brought a blanket and pink champagne, so we sat with some other Delta people and drank champagne and listened to the symphony. The music was great and it was very relaxing. I could even see some stars. When the concert was over, we drove around Houston for a bit and then returned to campus and met up with another huge group of Delta corps members at a bar near our dorm.

Before I go to bed tonight, I'm going to review my lesson plans for tomorrow (basically: administer a diagnostic test, teach rules). My classroom looks fantastic (my collaborative spent about 3 hours more on it today), my outfit will be teacherly, and first impressions are 1/20 of the battle?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,

I went to see Batman too and I thought it was very inspiring as well, but somehow I can't remember anything about it either. Congratulations on your first day!

Te amo,
Alfredo

9:21 AM, June 20, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Jess! Go out there & teach 'em something!

Love,
Auntie Linda

11:29 AM, June 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home