Monday, June 20, 2005

Collaborative Classroom

My first day of teaching! My collaborative left the dorms at 6:15 in order to spend some time preparing the classroom before the students arrived. We have now prepped the room for 4 or 5 total hours, and it sure looked nice. When we went to pick up our kids, we learned that our roster had been incorrect and that we had 11 children (better than 19, I think, for beginners), some of whom we had known about and some of whom we had not. So everything we had labelled with names in the room had to be completely redone.

Other than that, everything went smoothly. The kids said, "Science? I love science!" when I told them our next subject -- and not sarcastically, either. It was great. Then they took the diagnostic really fast, which meant that we had time for me to read them a book (Ms. Frizzle/Magic School Bus), which they were also really excited about. I say, hurrah!


My Collaborative


Our Rocket Ship (the class theme is "Blast Off to Fifth Grade," and the rocket shows our consequence ladder)


Our Mission, Rules, and Behavior Card Chart (they switch the color of their card if they misbehave)

Tomorrow we will see what a real teaching session is like. I know that I am in the "honeymoon" period right now...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks great! And now I get the rocketship idea better, too -- Houston, of course! I don't really get the consequence ladder though -- I don't see the consequences -- for example, do they have to stand last in line if they goof up?

7:10 AM, June 21, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so admire what you are doing. I love the theme, the positive way the rules are expressed and the teamwork you've instituted.

4:44 PM, June 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home