Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Day Two

Two down, lots and lots to go. Not to be a downer, but I don't know if I am really cut out for this job. There is too much to think about and my memory, as many of you know, is not really that great.

Today started out very well. We were on target for timing, even ahead. I'm still not being mean enough. I just don't want to send kids to the office, but R-- is killing me. Yesterday, he had his head in his desk all day. Today, he still couldn't sit still, wouldn't do any work, and refused to walk correctly in line unless I spoke to him directly, and even then it only lasted 5 seconds. He moved all the way down my consequence chart, lost his privileges (not that anyone has any yet) and really should have been sent to the office.

I know I'm supposed to change things slowly, which makes sense because I don't have time to figure out how to change most things. Tomorrow it will be: firmer, and more independent work (and discuss how we do independent work). Enforce my rules to a T, including how you act in time-out. Time-out needs to be more of a punishment. Hmmm...

The rows were much better than the groups. They were all facing me, all the time, unless they turned around in their seats. Lots to think about, but I couldn't stay in school past 4 because I am wiped. The other new first grade teacher ended the day in tears, so I guess I'm doing better than her, sort of...

M--, though, came to class today, and he can't talk at all. How do I teach him phonemes and phonics when he can't make intelligible words? I don't think he's stupid, I've seen his tests, but he definetely needs intensive speech therapy and probably special tutoring to get up to where he could be if he could speak. Inclusion is supposed to be a great thing, but I don't think it's a great thing for first year teachers.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Jess! Its Wednesday so the first week is more than half over! They are lucky to have you!

love, Auntie Linda

10:33 AM, August 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home