Monday, October 24, 2005

Focus

A new coping strategy is to pick out moments in the day that made me smile. Maybe you've noticed? Today my high points were:
* In line for the cafeteria when a little girl told me, "I like your shirt, Mi' Hay'," and another little girl chimed in, "I like everything on your body!"
* During the otherwise disasterous math time, Z--, who had horrible trouble with addition, was the first one done with her place value work, so she got to work on addition puzzles on the carpet. Other kids got to join her when they finished, and for a while, 2/3 of my class was working fairly quietly and collaboratively on the carpet putting together addition puzzles.
* I made an omelette for dinner and it was good.

It is good to focus on the positive, but I would be painting a rosy picture if I didn't also mention how the majority of my day went...

This morning, the alarm didn't go off, the microwave didn't work, the car radio didn't work, and I was late to work. Then, my assistant didn't show up, my lesson plans didn't get turned in, and I got an administrative warning. I feel as though a solid week in my classroom with no children and no meetings would fix a lot of my problems. Unfortunately, as the TMBG song says, "Time is marching on / And time is still marching on."

Today R-- bit S-- when Mr. H-- was watching the class because I was out of the room taking T-- and J-- to the office because they got in an actual fight. I gave out THREE band-aids today, and only one wasn't violence related. I'm really almost at my wit's end in terms of getting them to care about each other just a little bit. They step on each other and run into each other and E-- just sits there and cries all day and NONE of them even ask her what's wrong. I don't know how to teach it. I don't even do a good job modelling nice behavior because I feel like I snap at them all day long.

I'm losing my smart kids because I'm not scaffolding up, I'm losing my low kids because I feel like it's impossible to remediate them up to where they need to be because they don't have the prerequisite skills. I'm drowning in paperwork and all of it is so overwhelming that when I have time and I should be working on stuff my thoughts are scattered and I just don't know where to begin so I don't do anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home