Thursday, November 10, 2005

Shake That Thang, STOP

I am not a happy camper when I leave my tea in my roommate's car and I don't have it to begin my morning. Not a happy camper at all.

Two good things that happened:

I put my kids in groups of 6 instead of groups of four. Now, I know the mathematicians amongst you are saying, "But doesn't she have 25 students?" Yes, in fact I do. I have 4 groups of 6 and 1 group of 1: R--. He was incredibly well behaved today, because whenever I gave out group points, he got a point if he was on task as well. Yes, listed on the board with tally marks. And R-- was great. There were no other kids for him to touch, he was right near Mrs. B--, and it worked! For some reason, E-- has also been pretty on track. My two newest issues are A--, who is just constantly out of her seat coming up to me, and C--, who has decided not to be quiet or stay sitting correctly in his seat.

The other good thing that happened in the new groups was right at the beginning of the day. The class is supposed to get out their readers at the beginning of the day and "read" from them. They can read the story I have on the board and then they can read whatever they want. Well, when reminded, the red team got out their readers, all opened to the correct page, and READ TOGETHER. Yes, spontaneous choral reading led by one of my little loudmouths. It was INCREDIBLE.

Nothing else was particularly good. Manipulatives didn't work in math for fact families. And believe me, I modelled and modelled. Oh, well...

Going outside with them was fun. Remember "Ring Around the Rosy"? Well, there's a new one, called "Sally Walker," which my girls showed me today. Basically, they get in a circle around a girl and say:

Little Sally Walker, walking down the street,
Hey, hey, she didn't know what to do so she jumped in front of me.
(The girl in the middle jumps)
She said, go on girl, shake that thang, shake that thang, shake that thang.
(The girl in the middle shakes her booty and gets down.)
STOP.
(The girl stops.)
She said, pick your partner, pick your partner, STOP.
(The girl closes her eyes and spins in a circle until they say STOP. Then the one she is pointing at gets to be in the middle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home