Wednesday, November 02, 2005

State Observations.

It went poorly, in my opinion. Mrs. B-- seems to think both observations (reading on Tues, math on Wed) went fine, but I don't. My children were not at their best, by far. They were not all engaged. They were not all getting it. Today (math) they were loud. Yesterday (reading) the activity was a little too hard, and they whined about it and needed lots of help (although most of them mostly got it in the end). Today we did the greater than/less than sign. It was just too loud and not totally productive noise.

At Cornell, I couldn't even do schoolwork with music on. And yet I'm supposed to do my job every day with 24... no, as of today, 25 students talking?

There were four adults in the room -- me, Mrs. B--, the evaluator, and Mr. H-- (the inclusion teacher). And the children were WILD. Even though I will admit to prepping them. And then F-- fell asleep, R-- loudly refused to do work, everyone called out, and, to top it all off, J-- pretended to be drugged. When I went to tell her to sit up, she lolled her head to the side and started to slip onto the floor. Mrs. B-- took her to the office, where she perked up when Mr. R-- asked her if she was on drugs and then told her he would be speaking to her parents and if they didn't "tan her hide" he would.

Then the interview was abbreviated because of professional development (using the DIBELS reading assessment website.) I really wanted to say more, tell her everything, do well. I really hope I pass, but I am not at all sure because I did not think my lessons were up to par.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe the state needs to see what you're dealing with -- maybe that will get them to insist on smaller class sizes. If the children had all been perfect they wouldn't have gotten the real picture. Hopefully something good will come from this and that doesn't mean more paperwork!

7:36 AM, November 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll bet you did just fine. You can only be responsible for your own performance. There are 25 little ones that are going to do what they feel like doing anyway..in a school that you can't control...in a city that you don't run...in a state that ranks 49th in the nation from way back. I'm sure you exert a very positive influence in your classroom, and that's really what it's all about.

10:12 PM, November 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home