Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Delta Food

On Saturday, my roommate and I had a few people over to do a little teacher work and play some games. I got into a discussion of food in the Delta with another vegetarian teacher. I have to admit that I'm not actually a vegetarian because I do eat fish. This teacher is an actual vegetarian and we discussed how we basically needed to cook it ourselves to be sure it didn't have meat in it -- there is ham in greens, in macaroni, in omelets.

There is a lack of excellent fresh produce. There is passable fresh produce at the Walmart and Krogers in both Cleveland and Clarksdale, but selection is a little limited and there is no fresh fish. There is little or no passable fresh produce or fish in the small town grocery stores. Luckily, Walmart has a good selection of Greenstar products (fake meat, including my favorite fake microwaveable bacon, which nobody else likes.) I will admit that the flavor is no substitute for real dead animals, though. The "chicken strips" I put in with sauteed vegetables tonight were accurately described as "crispy air."

Deltans are always a little shocked and confused when they find out that I don't eat meat. It's my principal's favorite joke -- "You're looking a little pale, Mi' Hay,' I think you need some nice juicy steak." Our new landlords had GSD roommate and I out to dinner on Saturday evening. Crawfish are in season, so we went to a restaurant that specializes in them in Merigold (15 minutes south). After two heaping platters of crawfish (delicious), three of us had Crawfish Alfredo and Mr. M-- had a steak. He declared it so delicious that he sliced off two pieces and plopped them down on GSD roommate and my plates.

An awkward moment ensued. I thanked him and explained that I didn't eat red meat. (I left off the "or pork or poultry" bit for now.) Confused, he forked it back up and ate it, declaring it scrumptous and looking at me with a befuddled expression.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home