Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Fingers Crossed

I went to school today, and a new set of class lists was posted. A set of class lists in which there are not three, but four first grade teachers! I am thrilled, and hoping wildly that it will stay that way -- the fourth teacher has been pulled from kindergarten, and the other three kindergarten teachers are not to pleased to have 21 kids each. This morning, I had 19 kids on my class list, but by this afternoon it had gone down to 16 kids, because the administration moved up all four of the Special Ed repeaters to 2nd grade. I'm not writing names on anything yet, but I did go ahead and switch my 26 desks for the tables I've been coveting (that only seat 22 max).

Also today, the new principal assured me that he didn't want to lose any teachers because of a lack of discipline in the school, so he will be prowling the hallways with his paddle at the ready. He addressed his stature, which is much smaller than that of our previous extremely imposing principal. "I may be small," he told me, "But I am very tough." It is worth noting, I think, that the new principal is also a Reverend.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

does the 19 to 16 mean that before the change they had put 3 of the special ed repeaters in your class? That seems a little extreme. Did they other teachers have that many special ed kids?

8:40 AM, July 26, 2006  
Blogger Jessica said...

No, when I had 19 I had one Special Ed repeater and two other students, and the other teachers had class sizes of 19, 18, and 17. Some Special Ed kids were moved up to the next grade, and some kids have moved away, which brought us all down to 16.

9:49 AM, July 26, 2006  
Blogger Jessica said...

Also, it would not be extreme for my district -- I had 6 Special Ed repeaters in my class this past year (all of my Special Ed kids).

9:51 AM, July 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home