Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Marble Party

We filled up our marble jar yesterday and voted on our prize today. The class earns marbles when they are very well behaved, and my class has usually been great. We are often complimented on our line when we are in the hallway, and we have not even had one office referral. (I'm trying to avoid sending them this year, because I don't support corporal punishment. I did refer them last year because my management was not good.)

So this afternoon we voted. Some ideas the class had brainstormed were: a pizza party, a dance party, a cake party, a cookie party, TV and popcorn, extra recess, races, playing a football or baseball game, and a "superman party." As they left today, they handed me the post-it with their choice listed. And (drumroll) we will have a... DANCE PARTY!!!

Actually, a "cake party" won, by one vote, but isn't a cake party just a regular party at which there is cake? So I will bring some cake to our dance party and we'll have a swingin' good time for the last 40 minutes of school on Friday.

I have to ask the principal tomorrow, though. And I'm a little nervous. After all, he nixed the rat (I just shouldn't have asked. My school is definetely one of those places where it is easier to ask for forigveness than permission.)

So I drafted a letter listing the phys ed, dance, and music objectives met by having a dance party, including:

Physical Education:
5d. Respect the physical and performance differences of others.

4c. Engage regularly in moderate to vigorous activity*, emphasizing muscular strength*, flexibility*, and cardiovascular endurance*.

Dance:
3b. Respond to a musical beat and changes in tempo while traveling through all
levels of space.

4a. Perform different movement choices.

Music:
3b. Improvise a response to the beat and tempo of various music examples with
appropriate movements or dramatization.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home