Thursday, August 11, 2005

Day Four

My children get more and more affectionate with me. Monday, T-- gave me a hug. Tuesday, he wrapped his arms around my neck and pulled me down to his level and kissed my cheeks. Wednesday, he wrapped his arms around my neck, pulled me down to his level, and tried to kiss my mouth. I told him we don't kiss people on the mouth at school because it spreads germs and we don't want to get sick. Today he tried to kiss my cheek again several times and I finally had to reprimand him sternly.

First graders need a lot of attention. I'm learning that R--, a student who has ADHD and is unmedicated, needs me to focus him about once per minute. He is smart, and he can do the work for a minute before he gets distracted and starts running around the room or smashing his crayons into each other, or hanging around someone's neck.

My classroom is barely there. I thought I would have some time to work on it, but although the custodians stay until 7 every night, I don't have the time or the energy. My desk is a mess, with a computer sitting on top of it that isn't even plugged in. I have the desks arranged, though, and I'm slowly clearing through the things that the previous teachers have left. Some of it is useful, much of it is junk, and probably more than I know is useful or shouldn't be thrown out.

My assistant has turned out to be fantastic. I really like her. She doesn't interfere with my behavior system, she does many of my administrative tasks (pulling things out of homework folders, copying things, writing names in books), and she does what I ask. Today I had her read a story to the children while I diciplined some of the others out in the hallway. When I came back in, she was asking them great questions about the story, speaking softly, and she had their attention about at the level that I get their attention. It made me so happy.

The other teachers are nice, also. Today, Mrs. A-- gave me a ride home. She has been teaching for 23 years and is a native Deltan. There are some other new teachers at the school, three, to be exact. They are very sweet, too. One is my age and the other two are older and have children. All three are white (there is one other white teacher in the school, who teaches special ed) and just graduated from Delta State. One teaches first grade as well (the other two teach 2nd grade). The other first grade teacher is having a bit of a tough time (even more than I am) because her assistant is not great. In fact, her assistant has not come back to school the past couple of days because the two of them got in a fight.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helping R- focus.
Many children (and adults) with ADD/ADHD need extra stimuli to help them focus. This may seem counterintuitive to most people without ADD because they often see this as providing more distraction. But, in fact, this is what ADD/HD medications (such as ritalin)do(provide that extra stimulas).
Kids with ADD/ADHD who seem restless and move around a lot are, in a way, self-medicating. It may be helpful to try some different techniques to help R- remain focused.
Some possibilites to help a more kinesthetic-oriented individual would be to have him or her play with a rubber band or a stress ball. A knew a teacher who attached a elastic band to the legs of a chair so her student could kick at it. Some people just need to do jumping jacks (though this can be distracting to other students).
Other sensory stimuli might work better for some children. For example, sucking on a candy can help some people focus.
Having been through school with these issues myself, I think that an important thing for you to remember is that these kids are (hopefully) not intentionally trying to give you a hard time.
Goodluck!
(Sorry that was a bit long, and I also don't mean it to sound at all condescending, I can never tell how things are going to come across on the net).

12:37 AM, August 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home