Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Two Four Six Eight, Touch Your Nose

I briefly introduced rote counting by twos today by teaching the rhyme, "2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate?" We went around the room, doing the cheer for each person. My assistant was out of the room at the time, so when I asked if we had done the cheer for everyone, the students quickly pointed out that we hadn't done it for her. I told them that when she came back in, we would do the cheer for her. However, I don't like being interrupted mid-sentence by a child going, "Mi' Hay'! There's Mrs. B!" (it's just rude and dont' want to encourage it) or worse, calling on a child for an answer and getting "Mrs. B is back," as the answer, to, for example, "What day of the week is it?" (Totally breaks the flow for everyone.) So I told them that they could remind me about the cheer by touching their noses when she came back in the room.

A few minutes later, we were solving a pattern when there was suddenly a rustle of movement. I turned my head back from the child at the board to see the rest of the class, perfectly quiet, all with their fingers on their noses, eyes expectantly wide, looking from me to the now-present Mrs. B. M--, drawing a square on the whiteboard, didn't notice. We finished the pattern and clapped for M--. Then we did the cheer.

So now I know their memory for following directions is perfect.
Also, they are really cute.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that! It's so cute!

11:55 AM, September 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home